Last week I was talking to someone who had taken a pre-teen boy to a raptor (hawks, vultures, etc.) presentation. The presenter took a small fluffy chick (a baby chicken... I almost forgot that many readers may think chicken is grown in a cardboard box at fast food chains), and after all the audience "oohs" and "ahs", he fed it to an owl. The owl flipped it in the air, and gulped it down. The chick was already dead, but the collective gasp of the audience at this sight was startling to the person I was speaking with. She knew what was going to happen, and understood where chicken comes from. The presenter then asked who would be eating chicken this week. There's no difference between us eating chicken, and an owl eating chicken. I'm sure the image will be blocked from the audience's minds, and they will eat chicken.
So our civilization is now perfectly content to have their meat on the bone, and at a ranch far from sight until the barbecue is planned. They don't want to ponder the process of butchering, and how their meat finds its way to the foam pack at the supermarket. I used to have my clothes tailored by someone who lived next to a butcher. The stench is indescribable, and I had to have my clothes dry-cleaned after each alteration. I used to plan my pick ups so I didn't have to eat right after my visit.
At least people know where their vegetables come from, and the process a farm goes through to grow a vegetable. So in a pinch, we can each grow food to supplement our diets. Or at least that was my thought. Until yesterday's e-mail. Now I'm not so sure.
So here goes - how do we start a plant? It's okay to comment on this blog, I am curious as to who knows about this secret. It's okay if you think vegetables come from trees, we can help you correct your understanding of the food chain.
Okay, so you are probably wondering why I would assume that people don't know where vegetables come from. Stonecrop Gardens in Cold Spring, NY is offering a seed sowing seminar. For the princely sum of $50, the seminar will provide you with 3 hours of training:
- Learn the basic principles of seed propagation.
- Demonstration of seed sowing techniques.
- Apply your newfound knowledge to sow a variety of annuals.
On the second day of the seminar, weeks later, you will:
- Learn the critical skill of “pricking out.”
- “Prick out” your newly germinated propagules into larger flats for “growing on.”
I have worked for many years in horticulture, and can say that I have never utilized the skill of "pricking out". I am not sure what this is, but generally take care of voiding liquids in the designated human waste area. I may attend just to satisfy my curiosity. Or not.
What is missing in this seminar is how to take the stuff that is done "growing on" (not to be done while "prick out" I would guess, since there may be other attendees who are bashful), and putting the plants in the ground. Maybe that will be one of those extras at the seminar. If you take the seminar, please don't wear your Sunday heels, there may be dirt on the ground.
So all of you who don't know how to plant seeds, this seminar is for you. If you want to save $50, and actually have the experience of not only sticking the seed in the ground and pricking them out, you can start seeds at home and have the experience of watering, obsessing, and have the joy of watching the plants push through the soil and start to grow. My favorite part of gardening is watching the squirrels eat the green tomatoes while perched on a branch, staring at me through my home office window. Brazen things they are. I wonder if the squirrels understand how differently the tomato would taste if they'd been through the joy of "pricking out" after they plant the seeds.
How far are you from your food source? Do you know where your food came from?
What an interesting juxtaposition of Amazon.com advert and this discourse. We were sure you were the seed starting kind of guy you are so we have taken the liberty of sending you an assortment of heirloom seeds. We would be deeply honoured if you remember us while pricking out the tomatoes and beans. Pricking out the squash is rarely necessary. (Squashing the prick is normally contraindicated as well.)
ReplyDeleteAlso, fifty bucks for the three hour course is relatively cheap compared to the cost of the commute.
ReplyDeleteI get to pick the ads that run in the body of the blog, Google picks the side bar and bottom ads.
ReplyDelete